What Can You Do To Minimize Storm Damage?
Spring is finally here. Even though “April showers bring May flowers,” Mother Nature sometimes throws storms at us as well. Storms have the ability to cause a catastrophic mess but SERVPRO of Morgantown has the ability to put it all back “Like it never even happened.” quickly and efficiently. We may not be able to control the weather but there are a few things you can do before a storm to try to minimize the damage;
- Put all important documents and photos in a water /fire proof safe
- Discuss your home insurance policy with your agent.
- Keep the name, address, insurance policy and claims reporting telephone number of your insurer and agent in a safe place.
- Take photos of your home and belongings and keep in a safe place for insurance purposes.
- Make a Home inventory list. Include things like the model and serial number, description, and cost at time of purchase.
- Inspect your roof at least twice a year by either yourself or a professional. A few things to look for is any moss or algae growth, excess leaves laying heavily on all or a portion of the roof, loose, missing, buckled, or curled shingles, and check for any cracking or damaged counter flashing (Counter flashing: Is a metal waterproof strip installed over areas in need of additional moisture protection such as a chimney)
- Check gutters. You’re going to want to make sure you’re gutters are free of any debris as well as checking to make sure your downspouts are flowing away from your home to prevent any damage to your foundation which could cause flooding and water damage
- Check your exterior walls for any cracking brick or concrete and check to make sure you don’t have any loose siding.
- If you have a sump pump in your basement, check to make sure your basement sump pump is working properly. If you don’t already have a sump pump, consider getting one if your basement has flooded before. You live in a flat area, you’re area gets a lot of rain or snow, or if your home has a finished basement or you use it for storage
- Unplug all unnecessary appliances and other electronics before a storm.
- Trim your trees. Remove any branches that hang over your home or have a risk of falling and damaging any of your property
- Remove any loose objects and debris from your yard or secure it to prevent them from becoming projectiles that could damage your property.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY, Stay safe! Items can be replaced and homes can be fixed.
What do you do after?
- Avoid any downed power lines (Assume they all have live electricity)
- Inspect your property for any structural damages. Notify your insurance company/Agent as soon as possible
- DON’T throw away any damaged items until an insurance adjuster visits your home.
SERVPRO of Morgantown’s team members are here to help you clean up any size disaster “Like it never even happened.”